Friday, June 03, 2005

Punctuated Emotions

What is the deal with this? :)

That is a side ways smiley face. It is a smiley face that is hanging awkwardly on its side. You either have to have a very good imagination or you have to tilt your head in order to even see it. So here is my question - how in the world am I supposed to respond when I see it? Is this a message telling me to be happy? Or is this a message telling me that you are happy? What is it? Seriously. It is a colon and one parenthesis. And somehow it is supposed to express happiness. I guess.

And what in the world do we do with the winking one? ;)

I don't even want to discuss the seductive nature behind this.
The more I think about it, you can really express quite a variety of emotions with these things. Take a few for example:

The frown :(
The winking frown ;(
The surpised face :0
The winking surprised face ;0
The smiling cyclops I)
The winking frowning cyclops !(
The winking guy with a big nose ;V)
The winking guy with a double big nose ;W)
The "something is wrong with my mouth" guy :S

And my personal favorite:

The unibrow I:)

What is your favorite punctuated emotion? I:)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

they are commonly called emoticons--short for electronic moticons.

Anonymous said...

How about this one?

>P^O

The angry yet surprised pirate with a pointy nose.

Matthew said...

I prefer punctuated equilibrium. :@

Anonymous said...

I like Marge Simpson:

@@@@@:)