Monday, May 22, 2006

Bachelor's Degrees and Two Pieces

It has come to my attention that 9 universities in the USofA require a swimming test to graduate college. This seems completely arbitrary and random to me. What in the world? The test: one must swim 50 yards and tread water for 5 minutes. If you can't do this, you don't graduate. Might as well not fool with bulking up the resume, putting in those extra hours of community service, heck, even quit studying if you know you can't pass the swim test. It is absolutely necessary. If you can't swim, not only do you drown, but you can't graduate.

The schools - Notre Dame, MIT, Cornell, Columbia, Hamilton, Dartmouth, Swarthmore, and Washington and Lee, plus the service academies.

Swimming requirements for a degree? I don't get it. I don't even think I could tread water straight for 5 minutes. Do you realize how hard that is? Good thing the University of Oklahoma could care less about my cardiovascular devolopment. They now seem to only care how much money I am going to give them as an alumni. Perhaps if they were more concerned with my natatorial maturation I would give them some money for a change.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

went to one of those schools. took the swim test with a bunch of other freshmen during orientation, and yeah it was more tiring than it sounds.

Anonymous said...

matthryn,

yaa-Bo!!!/I flow like Billy Blanks with the TAe-Bo/And I spit hot fire!

Guess who?