Monday, October 29, 2007

Apocalyptic Contentment

This morning as I was packing my lunch (in an old Wal-mart sack), I found myself singing the Temptations' classic "Stand By Me." After a line or two into the first verse, Kathryn joined in - taking the lead vocals and I quickly moved into the "da-dum-dum" bass line. It was pure, musical delight.

And perhaps for the first time ever, I paid attention to the lyrics. And I found myself unexpectedly suspicious. I don't believe that singer. I don't believe that if a girl simply "stands by him," everything will be ok. And not just as a remedy for loneliness, but as the remedy to the end-of-the-world, apocalyptic meltdown that he describes.

The second verse begins: "If the sky that we look upon should tumble and fall, and the mountains should crumble to the sea." He is clearly describing the end of the world. The sky is actually falling. Mountains are crumbling into the sea. This is a picture of what Y2K was supposed to be - worldwide chaos and destruction. Planes crashing. Economies imploding. Mass hysteria. Death to millions. This is the catastrophic, portentous apocalypse.

And he continues, "I won't cry, I won't cry, no, I won't shed a tear just as long as you stand by me." This man is easily satisfied. Upon the advent of doomsday, this man won't even cry. Not one tear will befell his face as he looks upon his house being crushed, all his possessions being destroyed, his entire family screaming in agony as the "sky that we look upon" falls on them. He simply surveys the destruction with an apathetic contentment - because a girl is standing by him. It is the end of the world and this guy could care less just as long as his "darlin" stands beside him.

Frankly, I don't believe him. I love Kathryn to death but if the world was tearing to pieces right before my eyes, I would need a little bit more than just Kathryn standing beside me.

3 comments:

Dirks said...

I really like imagining the two of you singing and dancing around your home together.

Jake said...

Sunday School answer of the day:
Maybe, just maybe, that Temptation is talking about JESUS. In that case, his theology is right on.
Does he actually use a female pronoun?
:-)Melissa

Dirks said...

you've been tagged...check out our blog.