Wednesday, September 07, 2005

When Crisis Hits Home

I was told that a crisis would bring the best and worst out of people. And when I examine my heart, I certainly believe that to be true. Unfortunately, primarily with the latter.

Baton Rouge has doubled in population in the span of 6 days, making us the fastest growing nation in the country as well as setting the record for the fastest growing city in American history. With the population influx, you can imagine the logistical nightmare that follows. We simply cannot accomodate hundreds of thousands of new people. The gas is scarce. The cell phones are all down and a mess. Some places still don't have power. Wal-Mart can't keep their shelves stocked. There is absolutely nothing available to rent. Baton Rouge is 100% occupied. Schools are now overloaded and teachers are working into the night. Restaurants are packed. And the traffic is absolutely unbelievable. On Tuesday it took me 15 minutes to travel the length of a 30 yard street.

I should be responding with compassion and love, but instead my heart resents the New Orleans folks for being here. I wish they hadn't invaded "my" city. I wish they would leave. The coldness of my heart's response has convicted me greatly, revealing the pervasiveness of sin and judgment that lurks behind a paper-thin veil of holiness.

I can twist a horrifc natural disaster to invite pity and sympathy from others. I can complain about how I have been affected, how I still don't have hot water or running plumbing. I can complain about the traffic, tell the gruesome stories, write my emails and my blogs, and I get the reaction I want. "Oh Matt, that is horrible. I am so sorry for you." My mouth waters over such responses. And yet I look around and see people who have nothing now, whose entire house is gone, together with baby photos, priceless heirlooms, and vehicles. And in comparison, to mope over my inconveniences is wildly confused. There is no escaping the curse of sin, even when hurricanes change life forever.

This is indeed a crisis here. Folks in New Orleans are taking aim and shooting at those trying to rescue them. That boggles my mind. And the fact that my perverted heart swells up with self-righteousness, assuming that I would never do such things, is mind boggling as well. There is another crisis here as well, and that is dealing with the disaster of my own heart, repenting of my self-righteousness and self-absorption, and praying that Jesus would restore and renovate my heart just as the authorities attempt to restore New Orleans. May God be kind to His church by bringing them low and enabling them to love much.

1 comment:

corbs said...

Matty,
I too find myself more worried about how this whole thing affects me than thinking very much about how it has affected so many. I am worried about how my budget adjusts for higher gas prices, and wondering if the stock market, and thus any savings I have, are going to crash together.

Content to let the world go by,
To know no gain nor loss.
My sinful self, my only shame,
My glory all the Cross.

God grant us repentance