Monday, October 31, 2005

Credited Credit

A month or so back I applied for a credit card. I don't have one. I need one. And so I applied for one. This makes sense right? They send you those things in the mail - "Hey!! Sign up for this credit card!!! It's the greatest thing ever!! Come on everybody!! Sign up!!" So I did. I filled out the little application. I sent it in. And then I waited.

Their reply came back with a tactful denial. Their reason - insufficient credit history and not enough "established revolving credit accounts." Hmmm. That's funny. That's the whole reason that I applied for one in the first place. You know, because I don't really have credit history or "established revolving credit accounts."

And so I recently applied for another one. This time I knew I could get it. This is a company that I have my savings with. They sent out one of those "Hey!! We've got a sweet credit card with sweet benefits!! Apply today!!" things in the mail. I figured I couldn't lose. They were already working for me. They already have my money. Oh, but no. I was wrong. I got the letter of denial in the mail today for, oh, guess what, the same reasons as before - "insufficient credit history and insufficient established revolving credit accounts."

Ok. Help me out here people. How in the world do people get credit cards if they grant you a credit card on the basis of credit which presupposes you have a credit card?? How do I break into this cycle of credit? How do I establish a revolving credit account? What in the hell is a revolving credit account?

Am I the only one to whom this makes no sense? I see people with credit cards out there. I know they have them. How do they get them though? How do they get all this "credit?" And what in the world is credit anyway? Is this the government's economic brownie point system? Yes. It is. You do enough good things (transactions) and you get extra points (credit). If you get enough points, you can turn them in to get a point card (credit card). The only snag is, you have to use the credit card to get the points.

This reminds me of going to the arcade and pumping in handfulls of quarters into those machines so that it would pump out 5 pink, paper tickets. I would horde and gather and save my tickets and then take them up to the desk and trade them in for a black, plastic spider ring you could slide on your finger only to get it stuck at the knuckle. But apparently in the "real world" you trade all your tickets in for...more quarters.

5 comments:

Jake Spencer said...

I had the same problem last year when I attempted to hook myself up with a card de credite. After a few stinging rejections, I applied for a Citibank college student card. Now, they're throwing money at me!

corbs said...

yeah, they actually aren't giving you one because they've been spying on you in the shower and they don't like what they see. not you. your shower. they only give credit cards to people who don't have fuzzy mold in their shower. clean it, then apply for a college card.

keely said...

I also had the same problem. American Express didn't trust a young college student like me? Huh...Discover finally came through for me and it's been a good one.

Anonymous said...

Wow. That last comment is a bit much.

clinicole said...

since i can't sleep tonight i came in here to innocently browse the internet. i read the blog of a well-known friend to my husband hoping to find a few laughs, perhaps some insight too. and what do i find?? the words "harder erection", "better sex" and "penis enlargement" on the screen. is there no end to the dregs of the internet???