Monday, October 17, 2005

Discoveries of Yesteryear

I just found out that the word "wheel barrel" does not exist. It is in fact "wheelbarrow." This is a complete shock to me. I always thought it was barrel, not barrow. I have spent 24 plus years on this planet thinking it was barrel. And all along it was barrow.

I looked up barrow on dictionary dot com. Sure enough, the first definition is simply "a handbarrow," which doesn't help you out much if you didn't already know what a barrow was. The second definition is equally as unhelpful - "a wheelbarrow."

But then I scrolled down to the jackpot. Definition number four. It reads as such, "a pig that has been castrated before reaching sexual maturity." Wow. That can't be. A barrow is a castrated pig that has never hit puberty. Check it out for yourself. I kid you not.

Then I googled (which by the way, I hate that term) it for pictures. And sure enough, I found me a pic of a barrow. A real barrow. Here she is boys http://www.gerlachshowpig.com/champs.htm. This is a picture of a Prize winning barrow who is noted as having "screamin semen from Indiana." That's a bit scary, I'll be honest.

I wonder if I've ever eaten barrow bacon? Or barrow chops? Or barrow loin? I wonder if the meat is better, sort of like veal is in the cow realm.

5 comments:

Anne said...

I can't believe you made it 24 years without ever seeing that word in print. Or did you just think that a "wheelbarrow" was something different than a "wheel barrel"?

Anonymous said...

Green is my favorite color today.

corbs said...

what we all need to do is visit this link

http://www.gerlachshowpig.com/Assets/winners/13-7f.JPG

you will love it

Anonymous said...

Nice pig, Corbs. Check out my dog.

http://www.resourceinvestor.com/pebble.asp?relid=10958

Anonymous said...

Have you ever eaten back tenders? They're like chicken tenders but they're from someone's back. Juicy.