Thursday, March 15, 2007

Medication Transportation

Though I (Kathryn) rarely make an appearance on this family blog-site, I felt the urge to comment on a CNN.com article that made the "frontpage" news. Did anyone see that the FDA made a statement on how sleeping pills cause sleep-driving? Surely the writers didn't intend to make us cleanly substitue "walking" with "driving", I thought to myself. Surely, they're meaning to convey something about how these pills cause takers to fall asleep at the wheel, or something like that. I read on.

The FDA has received a dozen or so reports of how users of sleeping pills have a tendency to wake-up in the middle of their slumber, walk, find their keys, find the door, and go driving. The word that gets me is "tendency". What is it about these pills that make the automobile so attractive? Why isn't the phone more attractive? We've all heard of drunk-dialing. Apparantly, people taking sleeping pills may also call someone during their nightly wake-session. But only a couple of people have done that. The overwhelming majority of sleeping pill users are heading for their cars.

I admit that I occasionally pop the pill. And now Matt is actually considering hiding my car keys.

1 comment:

julia said...

When do you wake up? In the parking lot of a Gas-N-Sip or Waffle House? In your driveway? Bizarre. My narcoleptic Great Uncle Lawrence has been known to sleep while driving. A bit different from this sleeping pill induced phenomenon... However, he once took a "cat nap" (his words) while driving through the showroom window of a car dealership. No one was injured so we can laugh. And laugh we did.