Friday, August 31, 2007

Worcestershire Sauce and Other Anomalies

How in the world do you pronounce "Worcestershire"? I think everyone pronounces it differently. Some say, "Wore-shuh-shire." Others, "Wore-shuh-sure." And yet others, "Wore-chester-shire." There are a myriad of pronunciational options....and it drives me crazy. What is this word? What is it even referring to? Was Worcestershire the name of some English villa where it was invented? Is it the name of the dude who invented it? All mysteries.

Untiil I checked out Wikipedia. And they provided two pronunciations that I have not heard yet: "Wuster-sure" and "Wuster-sheer." Unbelievable. Turns out this stuff does come from Wuster-sure, England. Big whoop.

---

When you pop in a DVD, it usually takes you to the Main Menu. I was thinking about that lately. "Main Menu." Why would we call this initial screen a "menu"? A menu is the list of dishes available at a restaurant. The options on the DVD opening page are not this at all. So, how random, in reality, is it to refer to this opening page a "menu?" It makes just as much sense to me to refer to it as a "Main Law Code." Or a "Main Itinerary." Seriously, people. A menu? Worlds of food and digital/visual entertainment collide.

---

This past weekend Kat and I took a flight from Charlotte out to Texas. I hate flying. I am terrified of it. So, as we were sitting there waiting to take off, the flight attendant walks around and checks to make sure everyone is buckled in and sitting upright and all that. No big deal. Standard procedure. We had our window closed (because frankly, I can't look out the window without feeling like I am going to die) and she told us to open it. Well, no one questions why anymore. So we did. "Hey, why do you want us to open the windows? I don't understand why that is such a big deal?" Her reply was assuring, "In the event that we crash, I need to be able to sufficiently see our surroundings to make decisions." That is what I need to hear as I sit there sweating and panting in terror already. I have to open up my window because we just might be crashing. And, I might add, I don't really think that my open window is going to really accomplish much if we are all hurdling to the earth from 23,000 feet at 400 miles an hour. But I will comply to your silly rules.

3 comments:

Dave said...

I think I even change the way I do it form time to time...right now I go with wurst-er-shire. By the way did this come from yesterday when I told mary nto to add any wurst-er-shire to the burgers?
DK

Anonymous said...

I pronouce it Wish-tear-sure. I just think it's remarkable that no matter how you pronouce it, people still know what you are talking about.

JLal said...

I heard it was because people said, "Hey, what-shis-here sauce?"