Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Thanks (I think)

Gratitude can take many faces. And shapes. And cans.

But what I am particularly interested in exploring is the pluralization of gratitude. Let me explain:

Person A (let's call him "Jack") says to Person B (now, let's call her "Jill") a casual, "Thank you for the peppermint." Jack told Jill "thank you." Ok. Let's continue.

Now let's suppose Jack (let's now call him "Edgar") says to Jill (let's keep her as "Jill") on a different occasion: "Thanks." Edgar tells Jill "thanks."

One time - thank you
Another - thanks

Why the pluralization? Was the first time only the offering of one, singular piece of gratitude? And then on the second time, was it a collection, a cluster, if you will, of gratitude? What makes the need to switch these?

Why couldn't you legitimately say, "Thanks you"? Or why couldn't you say, "Thank" after someone gives you their peppermint (or spearmint)?

From here on out I am only going to offer the collection/cluster of gratitude. I feel like you get a little bit more for your words when you pluralize them. (For example, I would much rather have 5 dollars then 1 dollar). So hold me to it.

Thanks you.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I am sorely disappointed. I expected this post to be about the use of the word "gratitudes."