Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Ins and Odds

People who are concerned with their language prefer the expression "T.O.ed" to ticked off. Now, whether or not "ticked off" is an expletive is not the reason behind this observation, though I do not think "ticked off" is vulgar in any possible way - rendering the Wal-Mart style, edited version of T.O.ed moot. The point that I want to make is that T.O.ed is not a proper correlation to ticked off. If you are going to edit the expression, you should say T.ed O (ticked off). Nobody is "tick offed," therefore nobody should be T.O.ed. And certainly not P.O.ed. They should be P.ed O.

---

Horse shoes? Think about this. Why do horses need shoes? Now, I am no equestrian, but I really can't think of any good reason why they would need to nail on those iron-wrought bars onto the bottom of their hooves. Is it to make the horses more comfortable? Do they prefer to walk around on iron rather than grass? Is that what makes the clip-clop sound? I'm not sure, but I can't think of any other animal that we staple or glue on shoes to the bottom of their feet. Why horses? Confused, I am. I wonder if these are the "gift horses" everyone is warning me about.

---

Kathryn loves chocolate. Occasionally, for whatever reason, I call her a chocoholic. Then I got to thinking about it. People add on the suffix "oholic" to just about anything to make their point that the person is doing x in excess. The famous one is "workoholic." But this makes no sense. It is all derived from alcoholic, where the actual word "alcohol" has "ohol" in the root word. Now, bear with me here. Think of it like this. Alcoholic = Alcohol + ic. The think that makes someone who drinks alcohol abusive is adding the "ic" on the end, not the "oholic." For some reason, half of the alcohol word got carried over into all these other words when we add "oholic" on the end. So a "workaholic" is really someone who abuses alcohol at work (or, I guess, someone who abuses work while drinking alcohol). A "chocoholic" is really someone who abuses alcohol with chocolate (or someone who abuses chocolate while drinking alcohol). So I guess the proper way to call Kathryn what I really wanted to call her is chocolateic. And all you hard workers out there, don't be demeaned in letting people call you workaholics, you are simply a workic.

---

I saw a Chia Pet in the store the other day. Has anyone ever actually owned one of these "pets?" How is this company still in business. Ch-ch-ch-chia!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Horses wear horse shoes for a number of reasons.

1. To protect their feet, especially if you are riding them on rocky terrain.
2. To help heal feet, if they have a "split" in their hoof, similar to a broken fingernail.
3. For showing purposes -- I can't think of any show or race horse that isn't shod.

But primarily, it's for protecting their feet. If the horse is just out on pasture all the time, they generally don't need shoes on. They should be trimmed regularly to maintain good hoof health.

Here's to "hoof health" everywhere!

Clint said...

In a simpson's episode, Homer exclaims he craves "rage-ohol" after realizing he is a rage-oholic.