Monday, February 26, 2007

Our Refrigerator is Running (So Why Don't You Catch It?)

The tiny numeric dial in our refrigerator is set at 5 right now. It goes from 1 to 9 and it indicates that "9 is the coolest." 5 seems about right. Not too hot. Not too cold. Right there in the middle. I don't know how it is on your frige but apparently this lone dial also controls the freezer. And I'm not entirely sure how that is supposed to work.

All that to say...5 is not quite working for us. Sometimes I open the freezer and what used to be popsicles are now mushed up hunks of goo sealed in a plastic sack with a wooden stick floating on top. And today I opened the frige to have a pre-dinner chips and salsa snack and the bottle of salsa was frozen solid. I'm not making this up. We had to microwave the salsa. Oh, and the celery. We pulled out the celery tonight and it was all bubbled up and nasty looking. It looked as if it had come down with a terrible bout of acne since we last saw it. Then we realized that it was frozen and the water inside the celery stalk had expanded and was busting through its cellulose-skin prison.

I am not even going to attempt to understand it. All I know is: 5 is not the right setting. Melted popsicles. Swollen, frozen celery. I am not going to microwave my salsa anymore. The only problem is...I don't know which way to turn the dial. Do I turn it in a direction to get it colder? That doesn't seem smart. Gallons of milk will begin exploding. Do I turn it to get it warmer? There goes any chance of ice cream, popsicles, and oh yeah...ice.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"the water inside the celery stalk had expanded and was busting through its cellulose-skin prison"???

Man, you sure do know how to paint a picture! I miss you, hope you are doing good.

Anonymous said...

I put my Sr. Film project (The First Fifteen) on YouTube. Here is the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpPN0bEiKVE

As for your Fridge problem, ever think about switching them. Placing all the things in the Fridge to the Freezer and all the things in the Freezer to the Fridge? There will be a problem with size ratio but it may be worth a try.

Clint said...

as icy as it is, is it this cold where you're from?

Unknown said...

you could call your landlord and tell him/her you need a new refrigerator and freezer. don't laugh; maybe they know it too, but they're just taking you for a ride as long as they can.