Friday, April 13, 2007

Punching the Spike

You don't hear too much about punch being spiked anymore. I think that was an 80s fad. Come to think of it, it was more like an 80s television/movie fad. I watched plenty of sitcoms where a beloved character inadvertently finds himself/herself at a party, pours a few glasses of red fruit punch from a large bowl, and only finds out later that the punch had been, in fact, spiked. I think the character somehow ran into his/her parents while still inebriated, got a stern talking to, and the moral of the story was - don't go to parties where they have punch (because there is always a chance it could be spiked). This was a big deal in the 80s. It was the fall back episode if you ran out of ideas. It was - Let's put so-and-so in a situation where he has to drink red fruit punch...and we'll have somebody spike it!

I can count on one hand how many parties I've been to in my entire life where there was actually a bowl of punch available. Why did these people in the 80s think that we drink punch so much? It certainly is not my go-to beverage. Has anyone ever spiked something other than punch? Would anyone bring a funnel and siphon the liquor into a 2-liter of Sprite? Why is punch the only drink vulnerable to being spiked? Furthermore, who would want to waste their own money by buying a bottle of liquor and dumping into a vat of punch? Is the pay off really worth it to see all of your buddies get schlitzed? I don't even know if the act of punch-spiking is a devious-mean thing or if it is a let's-get-this-party-started thing. My memories of 80s sitcoms and movies aren't clear enough.

All I know is, the next time I am at a party where there is an enormous tub of red fruit punch, I'm going to leave the party immediately, hit a local liquor store, come back to the party, and straight up spike it. Someone has to keep this tradition going. I fear that it is dying out with our generation. Or maybe nobody drinks punch anymore, you know, because it is so disgusting.

5 comments:

Della said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Della said...

I will admit the last party I attended, not including weddings or wedding showers, were punch was being served, it was most definitely spiked and most definitely in the spirit of "lets get this party started". This was at least two years ago, not quite the 80s, however it was at the house of a friend that I met in the 80s, so that counts.

julia said...

3 years ago.... there was a punch bowl full of yuletide eggnog.... the nog, however, was deemed too tame by a flask-carrying pastor. We got spiked.

Clint said...

I think it is the gaping nature of the punch bowl itself that lends itself to the spike. It offers up a suspiscious lot of liquid surface area. Frankly, it's a wonder more than just alcohol doesn't end up in there...gross.

I think swinging from chandeliers (introduced by swashbuckling movies) also died out with the 80's party movie with the exception of the occasional primate movie in which chandelier swinging is not merely a staple but an absolute must... so, yeh, here's to swinging on chandaliers... and white, loosely laced Reebok hi-tops.

Kim said...

How about "spiking" milk shakes? Has that ever been done?