Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Guilty Banking

Today we went to the bank to get out some money. And I noticed that while I was in the bank I felt...well...unnecessarily guilty. I feel very insecure/self-conscious at the bank. If I look around the bank I think that some police force looking through the security cameras will think I am being suspicious...you know, like I am scoping out the place for a future hit or something. So I catch myself looking around the bank and stop very suddenly. Which then makes me even more worried because a sudden stop of surveying the bank looks even more suspicious. Certainly somebody is going to emerge from the back and pull me aside for questioning.

So then I just look straight ahead, tunnel-vision style. Just plain awkward. The cameras are all pointed at me. Tellers are looking at me out of the corner of their eye. Certainly someone thinks I am about to rob this place. And all I want is to make a withdrawal. I thought about making some sort of joke about all of this internal insecurity with the teller, you know, just to make it absolutely certain that I was not going to rob the bank because afterall, I am joking about it now, and who jokes about robbing a bank and then actually rob it? That's what I thought. But then I felt that such a move would backfire...and they would see my joke as an intentional ploy to lower the teller's defenses. So I didn't make the joke about robbing the bank. I'm thankful I didn't. I think joking about robbing the bank while at the bank is equivalent to saying "bomb" on an airplane. It is just something you don't do.

Well, somehow I made it out of the bank without getting arrested for making my withdrawal. And then Kathryn and I went out and bought a house.

6 comments:

Dave said...

That was a strong way to make the announcement. Congrats on the Hizzie. The Mojitos were a fine celebration!
DK

corbs said...

Your insecurity probably has nothing to do with the fact that you were about to get a check for many many many thousands of dollars for the first time in your life. Nothing. See you tonight for the move.

Anonymous said...

I feel like that every time I go to the bank. Espcially when I take my big cup of rolled coins in there.

Anonymous said...

In the Baltimore airport there is actually a sign that says they will take all jokes about weapons and bombs seriously. It's funny (but I don't joke about it). They should have a sign like that at the bank. Then people like you, pondering a potential joke, would know not to.

OneoftheServens said...

great news! congrats!

nicolerule said...

what the hay? you better put up some photos of this house soon! congrats!!