Monday, June 25, 2007

Why I'll Never Be Rich

The other night as I was dozing off to sleep, I began to brainstorm about old television shows that I remembered NOT for their content but specifically for their opening jingle-like song introduction thingy. And if I was a betting man, I would bet that the majority of our culture knows these shows more for their opening songs than what these shows were actually about. For some reason, I can recite the songs verbatim, but could probably count on one hand how many times I've actually seen an episode.

1. The Andy Griffith Show
2. Cheers
3. Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?
4. The Brady Bunch
5. The Beverly Hillbillies


----


On another note, why is walking an old lady across the street the universally understood pinnacle of what consititutes a "good deed?" Honestly, who has ever ONCE in their life walked an old lady across the street? If I ever saw the opportunity to actually take an elderly stranger by the arm and assist her across an intersection, I would probably refrain from doing so out of the fear that I would naturally assume her to assume that I would be going for her purse. And if for whatever reason I did manage to assist her across the street, I think every one who would be looking on would be amusingly shocked. They would nudge each other and whisper, "Wow, that guy is actually helping an old lady across the street." And then I would receive my merit badge in heaven.

3 comments:

julia said...

When i was little, i had a book of jingles. Used to annoy the bejesus out of family. Favorties not mentioned in your list - Green Acres, Little House on the Praire, Gilligan's Island, Munsters, Adams Family, Different Strokes, Facts of Life and Silver Spoons. Sadly, i remember all the words/ tunes but have little scripture, poetry or literature memorized. Perhaps, that's not sad in itself, rather sadly entertaining.

corbs said...

i remember duck tales, jetson's, fresh prince (still singing it often), home improvement (not so many words, but many strange tool noises such as springs springing, chainsaw's etc.). probably others, i will add if so.

julia said...

Jetsons! The boys have watched the Jetsons twice. They call it "Daughter Judy". At random times, I have caught cole singing the "daughter Judy" part in his drunk Hobbit 2-year old speak.