Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Shoop: Musings on Salt N' Pepa

We've been singing a lot of Salt N' Pepa around the house lately. Shoop. Whatta Man. Push it. Classic hits that influenced a generation. These songs changed the way we thought about the world, about ourselves, and about others. These are timeless songs, to be forever stored in the archives of music revolutionaries. They were the ones who wanted to first "talk about sex, baby," and boy did they. I think every song they wrote had this basic erotic theme running through it. Just think about it. Is there one song they aren't famous for that has something to do with...well....you know?

As I think back on Shoop and Whatta Man, I get a bit confused. Aren't these two really just the same song? They were on the same album. They became popular at the same time. They both have catchy choruses. They both are the same tempo and they sound nearly identical They both are about...well...you know. They are pretty much the same song. One song split into two. They go together in my mind. Just like you can't hear Queen's "We Will Rock You" without it being followed up by "We Are the Champions," so it is with "Shoop" and "Whatta Man" in my mind. I challenge you to find the difference to these songs.

Their most memorable line: "You so crazy, I think I wanna have your baby."

Now this is a fascinating lyric. Pepa (in 'Whatta Man') comes across a man (a mighty, mighty good man) who is humorous. She says that she has finally found someone who can make her laugh. That's exciting. Funny people are hard to find. She found one. And what is her reaction to this exciting discovery? ...I want him to impregnate me. That's just odd. Most girls I know who come across funny guys don't first think to themselves, "I think I want to be pregnant." But of course, that's why Salt N' Pepa gets the big bucks. They think of stuff like that.

Second most memorable line: "Can I get some fries with that shake-shake boobie."

Here, Salt (in the song 'Shoop') asks this particular gentleman for some fries in addition to his "shake-shake boobie." I must be honest, I am at a loss as to what a "shake-shake boobie" actually is. But it is clear. She wants it. And she wants a side of fries, apparently.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm, you're packed and you're stacked 'specially in the back
Brother, wanna thank your mother for a butt like that (thanks, Mom)
Can I get some fries with that shake-shake booty?
If looks could kill you would be an uzi
You're a shotgun - bang! What's up with that thang?
I wanna know how does it hang?
Straight up, wait up, hold up, Mr. Lover
Like Prince said you're a sexy mutha-
Well-a, I like 'em real wild, b-boy style by the mile
Smooth black skin with a smile
Bright as the sun, I wanna have some fun
Come (come) and (hmmm) give me some of that yum-yum
Chocolate chip, honey dip, can I get a scoop? (please)
Baby, take a ride in my coupe, you make me wanna...

Anonymous said...

in reference to the butt