Monday, March 24, 2008

Why MTV Should Quit Now

Remember when MTV actually played music videos?!? It was this really novel thing. Music Television. Now they really have no affiliation with music anymore. It's not Music Television anymore; it's Crap Television. CTV. That should be the new name. CTV (not to be confused with Cornelius Van Til).

I don't normally watch MTV (hereafter CTV) due to the fact that we actually get .5 channels in this house (we only pick up ABC...and that is, if one of us is standing by the TV, holding the antennae, and leaning to the side at a 90 degree angle). But when we are on vacation and we have a TV with 999 channels, for some reason I gravitate toward CTV. I suppose I am curious what is happening in the world of music, culture, and the arts. I suppose I want to reconnect with the channel that first exposed me to Aerosmith and Eminem. I suppose I want to actually see a music video. But when I get there - I don't find music. No music videos. No TRL. No "Yo! MTV Raps." Only a group of random 20-somethings thrown together in a house being followed around by cameras. And everyone is making out.

Here is something that needs explaining to me. Why are the characters from the Real World battling it out on the sand with the characters from Road Rules? What is going on here? It's like having the cast from Diff'rent Strokes (sorry, Kathryn, you wouldn't know anything about that) in a cage match with the cast from Webster. Or maybe the cast from Step by Step in a bar fight with the cast from Full House. Frankly, I'm a bit confused. This group of random 20-somethings who have lived together in a plush New York penthouse for the previous 6 months are now all wearing red uniforms and running through an obstacle course of enormous rubber tires on a beach. Why am I watching this? And remind me what any of this has to do with music. At least back in the day on CTV they had....you know....MUSICIANS doing stupid obstacle courses and playing basketball and rapping on stage during Spring Break. Now it's just this random cast of nobodies. I might as well be looking through the blinds at my neighbor's house.

And I miss Coolio. Where did he go? Gangsta's Paradise? Come back, Coolio.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I've missed your blog and now it's back and better than ever.
S&P are the bomb, but I agree. I often get them mixed up even though I can sing every lyric to both songs and actually sung kareoke to Whatta Man.

MTV sucks. big time. I'm with you. Why do I want to watch stupid, unintelligent, uninteresting people fight? Really, MTV??

JLAL

Kel said...

Da-Da-Daaa-Da-DA! Da-Da-Daaa.
Da-Da-Daaa-Da-DA! Da-Da-Daaa.

I miss matt. I miss matt. I miss matt