Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Philosophy of Toothpaste

Every now and then I get to thinking about toothpaste. It's just something I do. It's a hobby. And a habit. It's a hobby-habit. But not a hobbit.

Why is the predominant scent (the predomi-scent) of toothpaste - mint? Why does "mint" have a monopoly on the scent? Just look down the toothpaste aisle. You'll see: Whitening Mint. Fresh Mint. Avalanche Mint. Cool Blue Mint. Chunnel Mint. The craziest they get is - Peppermint. But of course, peppermint is a close cousin to regular mint. I realize mint is a much better aroma than say - hummus - but there are other pleasant smells out there as well.

Consider this - Lemon. When you spray down your kitchen counters with lemoney Lysol, it smells refreshingly pleasant. So, why in the world isn't there a lemon-scented toothpaste? Or what about orange? We recently purchased an orange-scented counter-top spray cleaner and trust me - this smells good. Orange is the new lemon. Good smells. But not good enough for our breath?

Mint seems to have the monopoly on the toothpaste scent. Mint scent. But again, I ask you - why? Ever washed your hands at someone's house who has that good vanilla/cinnamon/lavender soap stuff with the little bits in them? Oh...that smells good. What is wrong with lavender smelling toothpaste? Is it not minty enough for Crest? Would someone with lavender breath be welcomed or shunned? I'm not sure. But the possibilities are endless and yet the toothpaste people feel pretty content with mint. They are mint content. Content with the mint scent.

Clint?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

very strange how you write a blog post and then you can go off and de-favorite those who haven't written in a while. Do you have blogpost-righteousness? legalist.

Anonymous said...

Get ready to be amazed. There is a lemon toothpaste out there and it's my favorite toothpaste. I actually have started enjoying brushing my teeth because of it. It's one of those whiting expressions. I went the other day to get some and I couldn't find any at Wal-mart or Target. However I did find it later in a grocery store, too bad I bought some cinnamon toothpaste already. But once that's gone, here come lemony!

Suzanne Steven said...

Mint gives a person a fresher feeling. Yes, lemons and oranges do smell fresh, but the feeling isn't really there. What most toothpaste producers do is they mix mint with those flavors! These combinations give the freshest feeling ever! :D