Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Phone Ethics: A Conversation

Oliver: So I was going through my neighbor's trash last night -

Gene: You what?

Oliver: I was going through my neighbor's trash....What? Why are you giving me that face?

Gene: You realize that is not normal right?

Oliver: Hold on.....I'm getting a phone call......uh.....

Gene: Why aren't you answering it?

Oliver: I don't recognize the number.

Gene: So what? Answer it.

Oliver: No.....I don't want to.

Gene: Are you serious? Why not?

Oliver: Well.......oops......Any way it's too late now. I'll let the voicemail get it.

Gene: Why didn't you just pick it up to begin with?

Oliver: I don't want to be thrown off by someone I don't know. You know, it could have been a telemarketer or something, I don't know. I'd just assume let the voicemail get it and then I can know who it was.

Gene: I don't see what the big deal is about answering. What do you think the worst that can happen is? Some terribly awkward person who wants to talk to you for 45 minutes? The mafia or something saying they are out to get you? Can't you just hang up if you don't like what you are hearing? I don't get this. Besides....it doesn't sound like they're left a voicemail.

Oliver: Yeah....no voicemail yet.

Gene: What are you doing now?

Oliver: I'm calling them back.

Gene: What?!? Now you are calling them?!? Just a second ago you wouldn't even pick up the phone for these people and now you are initiating a phone conversation? Does this make any sense?

Oliver: Shhhh....they're about to pick - uh....hello? Yes....did someone just call this number?

Gene: Exactly.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

so glad we're over that whole french fry thing. love the new look of the blog!

Anonymous said...

are Gene and Oliver, how should I say, batting for the American League?