Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Awkwardness of "Awkward"

The other day I found myself trying to spell the word 'awkward.' And my first attempt spelt ("spelt"....now that is awkward too) it this way: awkard. My indication that something has gone horribly wrong was the red squiggly line that appeared underneath it - always an alerting red-flag that changes are needed. So I stepped back and looked at this word: awkard.

"Are there really 2 w's in this thing?" So I took another stab (grab). a-w-k-W-a-r-d. And there it was. Awkward. And the more I looked at this word, I realized that its form embodies its definition. Just look at it for a second. Awkward. It is weird looking. What other words do you find the back-to-back combination of "wkw"? The word itself looks like a bird trying to get off the ground, but can't, due to one defective wing.

You know what else is an awkward word? Spelt.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find "world War" to be hard to say. It feels like marbles in my mouth. If my theology were different, I'd think it was God's spite since I teach US history.
-JLal

Anonymous said...

Highly eneгgetіс article, I liked thаt а lot.
Will therе be a part 2?

Feel free to surf to my page - lgtensunits.com

Anonymous said...

I аm surе this рaгagraph has touchеd all the internet useгѕ, its гeallу гeally pleaѕant pоst on building up new ωеbѕіte.


Alsо vіsit my blog taxi Service Irving Tx

Anonymous said...

Clean your cellular phone and house mobile phones on a regular basis to prevent acne breakouts. Lightly nice and clean the display and variety cushion by using a moist cotton replace plus some rubbing alcoholic drinks. This may remove any left bacteria and natural oils in the surface area and won't reapply these people to your cheek and ears, when you visit talk. [url=http://www.ss12w12ws.info]Cakg44452e[/url]

Anonymous said...

Staying away from your hypersensitive activates, whether it be a number of wildlife like pet cats and puppies or supplies that create pores and skin tenderness, is amongst the most effective ways to cope with your allergic reactions without spending money. Studying no-drowsy antihistamines can make your day time a little more manageable, at the same time. Keep in mind these guidelines to manage your allergy symptoms effectively, and feel much better!Want To Become A Wine Aficionado? Begin With These Pointers App766udi