Thursday, December 18, 2008

Oblong Blog

You know what really "chaps my hyde?" It's phrases like "chaps my hyde." These colloquialisms are a bit outdated and thus unnecessary in my opinion (opine). Can anyone even describe to me what "chapping" looks like? I know what "chaffing" is. Is that the same as "chapping"? I know when my lips are chapped. Maybe that is what it means.

Therefore, I think the expression should be altered a bit. It should be: You know what really "chaps my lips"? Now, that is an expression people can identify with. People will be like - Oooh, I know the feeling of a chapped lip. That is not pleasant. This guy is about to tell me something unpleasant. I can dig that. I can't want to hear what this guy is about to say about what is chapping his lips, metaphorically.

But you go to that same person and say: You know what really "chaps my hyde," they will be confused. That person will be like - Hmmm. I am a bit confused. He is about to tell me something about how something has chapped his hyde. I have experience of hyde chapping. I'm not even sure what chapping is in this context. I don't know how to prepare myself for what this guy is about to tell me. Is this good news? Is hyde chapping a good thing? Or is this a bad thing? Does he not want his hyde chapped?

You can see how confusing such a phrase is. I'm going to start a facebook group: People who want to change "chaps my hyde" to "chaps my lips." (Or should "lips" be singular: "chaps my lip." That has a bit more zip to it if you ask me.)

Will you join?

1 comment:

JLal said...

I think it is "hide" and it can get chapped from leather clothing. am I right?