Monday, December 29, 2008

The Star "Spangled?" Banner

I was thinking about the word "spangled" the other day. What does "spangled" mean? I did not know. I had to look it up. It turns out that "spangle" can take various forms:

Verb. To adorn or to cause to sparkle. "Dude, check out how the light has spangled the skyline."
Noun. Something that sparkles. "Dude, check out those spangles of sunlight."

Outside of the context of the star "spangled" banner, does anyone say this word? Not that I am aware. I can't remember the last time "spangle" showed up in a conversation. I thought about breaking it out at the next party (get-together and/or social engagement), but I'm sure it would attract odd reactions:

"'Spangled?' Did you just say 'spangle'? What does that even mean?"

or

"'Spangle?' Isn't that the brownish, green mucus that comes out of your nose when you have a cold?"

or

"'Spangled?' Isn't that a verb that means 'to adorn or to cause to sparkle'?"

or

"'Spangle?' Is that similar to 'throat corn'?"

Gene: It's in the same family.

Oliver: Exactly.

No comments: