Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Can't Touch This

One a day for all of MAY...

MC Hammer once announced to the world that he was "Too legit to quit." There is a glaring problem with this assertion.

Hammer has quit. He is not making music anymore to my knowledge. Maybe he is recording tracks in his home studio or something, but he has officially fallen out of the public conscious. He has quit. Therefore - he is a liar. He is not too legit to quit. His legitimacy is compromised. He has quit.

And what is the relationship between legitimacy and longevity. He is saying - I am legit. I am authorized. I am authentic. Does this therefore obligate Hammer to work for the rest of his life incessantly? Can he not rest or take a break? Apparently not. Legitimacy equals workaholism. His very authenticity is what drives him to never quit.

Honestly, I don't see the logical connection. I think you can be legit and still, after some time, quit. Quitting does not necessarily compromise legitimacy. But it does in the mind of Hammer.

And we must remember that at the end of the day, he has quit.

2 comments:

grain of S.A.L.T. said...

This blog is legit, please don't quit.

ruth said...

hey guys!
Hammer may be legit enough to quit, but friends, I am far more shmorkishminishly awesome to quit. Welcome to the REAL legit.
:)