Saturday, May 02, 2009

Corn Syrup

One a day for all of May

I was in the shower this morning thinking about corn syrup. Now, I must admit a certain level of ignorance in regard to this stuff. Is it actually made from corn? Is it actually syrup? These are the questions I would want to explore if I had more time (or lime) in life.

So, let's just suppose it is made from corn. Someone ('they') extracts sugar from corn and boils it or do whatever 'they' do to it - and it makes this sticky, sweet syrup. This is brilliant. If 'they' can make glue from horse parts and 'they' can make syrup from corn stalks, what can't 'they' do? The possibilities are endless:

- Making coca-cola from rubber tires
- Making sea salt from tree bark
- Making leather couches from leather fabric
- Making polyurethane from urinals

The creation of corn syrup signals to me to optimistic future of humanity. Perhaps I am buying into the Enlightenment project too deeply. Perhaps I truly am Modern. Perhaps I have not given up on the dream. But if we can make syrup from corn, we can do anything.

There is that one little snafoo (sp?)....in that corn syrup sucks, it's really hard to clean up, and it doesn't really taste like syrup. Aside from that....humanity is on course to utopia.

No comments: