Saturday, May 16, 2009

Confusion over Chicken Empanadas

¡¡One a day for all of May!!

I was at Trader Joes "shopping" aka "doin my thang," and I came upon a frozen bag of "Chicken Empanadas." The picture on the front was enticing enough to make me inquire more. So I did. I picked up the package. I looked at the picture a bit closer. Sure enough, that does look appetizing.

And so I went to phase 2 of my investigation: price. After a little searching, I discovered that this pouch of empanadas was $3.95, a bit pricey for what appeared to be a meager portion of empanadas. So of course, phase 3 was to determine exactly how many empanadas were contained in said pouch.

Nothing on the front revealed the quantity, so I flipped it over and checked out the nutritional value. At the top, it tells you how big the servings are: 1 empanada. Ok. Keep going, Matt. Don't stop here. The following line tells you how many servings this particular pouch contains. Ok, this makes sense. Simple logic leads me to conclude that if 1 serving = 1 empanada, then the number of servings it contains tells me how many empanadas are in there. But this is when I got a bit confused.

It read "Contains about 5 empanadas."

"About"? That is not really informative, is it? How can something contain "about" 5 of something? Are there 4 fully-intact empanadas and a few crumbly bits to round it out to about 5?

Furthermore - the number is so low, that is quite a big difference between 4 and 6 in a package. If there were like 50 in there - ok. I understand. Round it out to "about" 50. But if I'm buying a package of empanadas for $4.00 thinking there is a chance that I may strike gold and get 6 empanadas, only to really get 4 - that makes for a bad day. A bad day indeed.

Furthermore, does Trader Joes not count or regulate the number of empanadas in there? If it isn't exact, what is to prevent someone from stuffing 15 empanadas up in that pouch? One could argue that there are "about" 5 in there if you have a large enough scale. Between 0 and 1,000 empanadas - 15 is roughly "about" 5, you could say.

Joe, if I am going to keep trading with you, you're going to have to be upfront with me.

No comments: