Thursday, May 15, 2008

Emoticons

OADFAOM...

You all know about Emoticons. It's "emotional shorthand." If I'm happy and I am interested in communicating that emotion, I no longer have to actually write it out (like a caveman would). I can simply type a colon, followed by a parentheses (like a college grad would). In case you haven't been around a computer in the past 15 years, I will demonstrate:

:)

See...it's a sideways smiley face. :) I'm smiling. I'm happy. I wanted to communicate that to you. But not in a way that one might confuse as being sincere. I am not going that far. I'm not going to elaborate on my happiness. I'm not even going to communicate in person (like people do). I'm simply going to communicate through rearranging punctuation.

Now, I'm sad. :( And now I'm crying. ;( And now I have a unibrow. }:(

And now I am a unibrow-cyclops with my mouth open. }*0

And now I am a unibrow-cyclops with an ampersand for a mouth. }*&
I'm really not sure what that emoticon communicates about my current emotion... Maybe that I'm constipated?

2 comments:

julia said...

} *$

unibrow cyclops with million dollar smile

Anonymous said...

I must say, May Madness this year has been very unsatisfying. It doesn't seem like you are putting much effort into this thing. I am not getting the usual substance that I am used to. Also, this post is basically a repeat of your blog post from Friday, June 03, 2005 titled "Punctuated Emotions". I feel as though we the readers, especially the ones who have been reading from the beginning and remember this particular post, are entitled to an extra blog from you. I urge others to check this post out to see the similarities. Very disappointing if you ask me.