Sunday, May 04, 2008

Confused....again

One a day for all of May...

A number of days ago, I stood in our backyard surveying the landscape. Wet. Everything was soaked. It had rained pretty hard the night before and now the earth was wet. The blades of grass were carrying beads of water. Puddles had formed in certain areas. As I metaphorically drank the scene in, one thought occurred to me.

Where do squirrels go when it rains?

I looked up in the branches for squirrels. Not in that tree. And nope, not in that tree over there. So I thought, those squirrels are probably a few houses down, in someone else's trees. But this surely can't be right. I looked across the way to our neighbor's trees. No squirrels. No squirrels anywhere.

Where do they take shelter amidst the downfall?
Do they even have a place to hide at all?
What would happen if a squirrel got wet?
Does the squirrel have the capacity to be upset?
When it rains and pours, do they climb up high?
(For surely a branch can't keep them dry).
Do they burrow in holes simply out of fear?
Or are they wizards and just disappear?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

omg, you're so weird.

corbs said...

No Place for Squirrels
Here? or There? Where do you go?
Soft and Dry No More


A haiku, in honor.

Anonymous said...

squirrels are disgusting. I hope they drown.
-Jlal