Friday, May 23, 2008

The Domestic Areopagus

One blog post per 24-hour period for the duration of the entire month of May...

I have come across an ongoing philosophical discussion amongst marriages - One where argumentation is conducted with vehemence and determination. One which plunges us all into the mysteries of humanity, the age-old debates of yesteryear, and the conundrums that have plagued philosophers (and gnomes) for centuries.

Dishwashing philosophy. The crucial question is: Do you rinse the dirty plate before you put it in the dishwasher or not?

The "Non-washers" insist that this is the primary reason one is putting the dirty plate in the dishwasher to begin with: to have it washed. Their position insists that "if you are going to wash it off by hand, why even bother with putting it in there?" This view sees the "washing-off" step as unnecessary, arbitrary, and wasteful (of water). This view tends to view the "Pre-washers" as controlling, aggressive, and sensitive.

The "Pre-washers" insist that the dishwasher may not be powerful enough to remove the caked-on funk from dinner. Therefore, this preliminary step removes the funk and leaves the still-dirty plate to be thoroughly cleansed by the dishwasher. This view sees the "washing-off" step as necessary and helpful. This view tends to view the "Non-washers" as haphazard, careless, and calloused.

I hold to the "Pre-wash" philosophy. You?

2 comments:

Gavin Breeden said...

My decision to "pre-wash" or not is made on a dish-by-dish basis. That plate that I just ate Lasagna off of needs no pre-wash. However, that dish that I just cooked the Lasagna in will definitely need a pre-wash. Today's cereal bowl probably needs no pre-wash, the cereal bowl from yesterday that I forgot to wash last night and which still has a couple O's stuck to it will probably need a little rinse.

So I'm in the middle. My goal is to bring the "Pres" and the "Nons" together. I'm not a divider, I'm an uniter, baby. And I'm a survivor.

Anonymous said...

You'll never win this fight so just rinse the plate before you put it in the dishwasher and be done with it already.

t-diddy