Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Milk, Grass Stains and Paper Cuts

Day all of for a May one...

I looked through a magazine the other day and saw a "Got Milk?" ad in it. Apparently, they are still running this ad campaign. I was a bit thrown off, I'll be honest. It's been a good 8 years since I saw Cindy Crawford staring at me with a milk mustache. Or Kermit the Frog. Or Eleanor Rigby.

Here's another thing I'll be honest about - I don't understand why milk needs advertising. We know it is out there. We need it. We are going to buy it and we are going to drink it. And what is competing with it? There is nothing else jockeying for position on what to put on my cereal. There is no other ingredient I want to put in my MILK shake. Are the milk companies getting insecure? Do they think the American populous might forget about them? Do they think we can go on without it?

It's just assumed - if you are running low on milk, you make a note to go buy more. You have to have milk in the fridge. No one thinks to themself...."Hmmm I'm running out of milk. Should I get some more or should I wait a while?" No one thinks that. And furthermore, no one thinks, "Hey, you know what would be good for lunch? A handful of Skittles." No one thinks that either. And no one thinks, "Hey! If Skittles and Starburst got married, they'd be called Starttles. But don't confuse Starttles with Smarties. They are not the same. Neither is Fun Dip the same as Starttles. Or Fun Dipples. Or Eleanor Rigby." No. No one thinks that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does Tony Danza like Startels? Does Clay Aiken at Smarties?