Friday, May 09, 2008

Blame it on "Blame it on the Rain"

one A dAy for All of mAy...

I found myself singing Milli Vanilli's "Blame it on the Rain" yesterday and as is my custom, I analyze and critique the lyrics. Here we have a sad story via really bad song about a man who "said good bye" and thus "sacrificed a good love" but is now feeling regret about the decision. He looks back on a poorly thought-through break up and decides that he "gotta blame it on something, gotta blame it on something." So he does what any rational, cultured, educated person does. He blames it on precipitation.

The part that never really stood out to me before but now does is the line, "Whatever you do, don't put the blame on you." This is clearly denial. I can see it now: No, no, it can't be my fault for prematurely breaking up with a "good love." It is just out of the question. It is isn't even an option that I might possibly be wrong here. It was the rain's fault. It was fallin' fallin'. And....and....(looking around frantically searching for something else)....I'll blame the stars! Yeah, that's it! It was the stars' fault! They shine at night. That is clearly blameworthy. But whatever I do, I won't put the blame on me.

I think I am going to use that excuse the next time Kathryn gets upset with me. "Matt, you said you would empty the dish washer." And I'll go, "Hey, don't look at me. Blame the precipitation. It was fallin fallin." Who blames rain?!? Honestly, people.

1 comment:

grain of S.A.L.T. said...

I remember Mom thought the lyrics were "Blame It on Dwayne." True story. Try that one with Kathryn.