Tuesday, May 06, 2008

My Dog Loves Urine

One a day for all of May...

Our dog has a propensity of sticking her face in urine. We go on a walk around the neighborhood and she incessantly stops to plunge her snout into a bush, a telephone pole, or a tuft of grass just to inhale a fresh wave of urine odor. She loves it. And I don't quite understand.

I don't understand why she would be so thrilled with that smell and not others (like freshly cut cedar, or roasted almonds). Sure...I know some dog before us has decided to "mark its territory" with a quick little squirt of pee, but why does my dog take the time to actually investigate? Perhaps she was thinking of "marking her territory" on that spot and wanted to make sure she wasn't going to get herself into some trouble with the previous "territory owner."

Ok...help me understand how urine equals territory. Everywhere one pees, that's now your property? That's how it works?! That is the #1 real estate law in the dog world, apparently. And what is with this global take-over mindset? I've seen dogs pee all over the place. Oh, so every single spot is now yours? That's really selfish. And a bit tyrannical and totalitarian, if you ask me. The dogs don't even utilize their new "territory" once they "mark it" anyway. They just pee on it, claim it as theirs, and move on. They may never come back to it again, but hey, they peed on it, so it's theirs. And my dog comes along behind them and breathes it all in...every last sniff of pure, dog urine.

2 comments:

corbs said...

Don't you know that its all about getting a piece? That is why dogs do everything they do. And we just though high schoolers were bad. No sir. I've heard that they sniff pee b/c pee tells them if the other dog is in heat or whatever you call it when a boy dog wants to, well, you know. Heat. Hot. Peat, moss.

Anonymous said...

Wrigley peed on our TV. So, now I guess it is his. No wonder why I can't find the remote!

P.S. Is "peed" actually a word?