Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Conserving Water While Losing Dignity

One a day for all of May...

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Last night, I took a shower with a bucket. Now, don't misunderstand me. I didn't use a bucket to shower myself. I brought an empty bucket with me into the shower to collect the water that dripped off of my dirty body. Why did I do that? To conserve water for watering the yard. Translation: To save money on our water bill.

There I was in the shower standing next to an enormous 5 gallon bucket. I couldn't really tell where the most effective water-collecting spot to put it was. I tried beside me, hoping to catch some of those long, thick streams that seem to fall from my elbows. But it didn't seem to do the trick. So I then I thought about straddling it, having it be directly under me. This seemed to work fairly well, but covered the drain...so what didn't get collected by the bucket didn't get collected by the plumbing either.

Despite the awkwardness at times, I think it is a good idea. Brilliant even. Why waste all that water when you can snag it and pour it on your plants. It really sucks to be a plant, come to think of it. You get peed on my dogs and then dumped with 5 gallons of someone's dirty bath water.

2 comments:

corbs said...

i began capturing my water as well. mainly the water while i wait for it to get hot in the morning.

Unknown said...

wowwwww..... even as much as i like this idea, i'm still really shocked at it.