Monday, May 21, 2007

Checks and Balances

Still one a day for all of May...

I've noticed something a bit...well....odd...about Sunday mornings. Every time I write the check for our weekly offering/tithe, I can't help but notice that I write it the same way that I write every check: On the "amount" line, where you actually write out the exact numerical amount with letters and words, I make that same long squiggle throughout the remaining part of the line that I haven't written on, you know, so as to prevent the recipient of the check from adding in to the amount whatever they want. It's self-protection, I guess. And so that is why on Sunday morning it feels a bit odd. With that long scribble on the remaining part of my "amount" line, I am inadvertently suggesting that unless I didn't do it, my church would fill in the remaining part with whatever they wanted. And that is a terrible conclusion and accusation to make....all from one single stroke of the pen. A long squiggly stroke, at that.

No comments: