Thursday, May 24, 2007

Killing the Adverb Slow

One a day for all of May...........................

I believe that we as Americans are slowly killing the adverb. We just don't use them anymore. For some reason, they have lost their usage. Or we simply hate the L-Y combination. Kathryn sometimes tells me she feels "badly" when she feels...bad. That just sounds really odd. Badly. I want her to say that she feels bad. But that is not grammatically correct. It is not adverbially accurate. It is not syntactically significant. So, she feels "badly." And sounds silly.

5 comments:

sarah corbin said...

"I make you banner."
"Family Love Michael"

Anonymous said...

She feels bad. Feel is being used as a linking verb; bad is being used as an adjective to describe the subject rather than the verb.

Anonymous said...

This is the kind of thing I try to teach people. Can I expect a sequel?

Anonymous said...

hello there thanks for your grat post, as usual ((o:

Anonymous said...

Round Ten-Manny Pacquiao pounds Margarito in round ten. As I
sat oon the beach at Atlaantic Beach North Carolina word began to spread that
a dolphin had washed ashore only a couple of hundred
yards away. Thee film should have had a beyter story in the
first place as it just seems more like a series off dives separated by people trrying to overcome their internal struggles.


Here is my blog post - hungry shark evolution cheats